We are pleased to announce that ekincare has successfully adopted the progressive web apps methodology which improves the overall reliability, speed and user experience of the platform. Furthermore, we have improved personalisation for the user based on their health profile.
India tops the list of internet usage across the globe with 9.8 GB of internet usage on each smartphone every month. But the access to quality internet is still not addressed. We want every customer to have a seamless experience even with the age-old, low-end devices as well.
With low space on your mobile, long processing times in using native applications. Pwa comes to your rescue with most of the native features. Progressive Web Apps are user experiences that have the reach of the web, these are:
- Reliable – Loads instantly even in uncertain network conditions.
- Fast – Respond quickly to user interactions with silky smooth animations and no janky scrolling.
- Engaging – Feel like a natural app on the device, with immersive user experience.
This new level of quality allows Progressive Web Apps to earn a place on the user’s home screen.
How do you install one?
You can add ekincare PWA onto your home screen by clicking on Add to Home Screen button when you visit application on your browser.
What it means for organisations and HR functions
When it comes to downloading an app, there will always be friction among employees on installing a new one and it affects the user experience and subsequently the utilisation of the health benefits offered by the company.
With the PWA the user gets similar app-like experience via web browser without installing the app and thereby improving the chances for utilisation to a greater extent.
The new dashboard is designed with sections allocated for different use cases including:
- Personal goal tracking which includes steps and health score
- Company Announcements: All company announcements to be available under this section
- Health Benefits: Benefits sponsored by your company will be listed here for quick access
- What’s Happening: A section dedicated to engagement activities with deep-linking
- Just for you: Personalised recommendations based on health, lifestyle, genetic history for self and family
A new and dedicated section is added on the dashboard. Furthermore, all the company sponsored health benefits are listed under one bucket so as make the health benefits available to the employee in more transparent and easily accessible manner.
Preventive health care aims to ensure that employee health remains optimal. In order to do this, it prescribes multiple preventive actions which are primarily focused on improving the lifestyle diet, etc.
The goal is to ensure that the employee is functioning at 100% health.The personalised recommendations cards are based on an individual’s health, lifestyle and genetic history. This personalisation is available for both for self and family
Here’s the tech part that went into it.
- We ensured the application size is minimal as possible by not using any external libraries or frameworks like bootstrap and brought down the size of the application to ~330KB(the time we took, we did because we wrote everything from scratch), comparatively our Android and IOS apps are at 14MB and 50MB respectively.
- We decoupled the front end (PWA is just a client side facing app just like the native apps) and back end of the application. We will be using the same backend APIs for both the PWA and the native apps which ensures less development time for the back end, which means faster delivery of the features to come.
- Unlike the native apps, release of updates is much easier and faster. You just need to refresh the page when there is an update (remember, this is still a web application).
- We made sure the application is mobile responsive and almost feels like a native application in terms of looks and general functioning.